Tuesday 8 May 2012

Sexy Super Nollywood actress Chika Ike talks about herself


What has been happening to your acting career because it seems you now focus on your fashion business?

I have been very active in the movie industry. Though I have been focusing on both my acting and fashion careers, they are both creative endeavours. But acting has been taking more of my time and lately, I have been here and there on various movie sets. If you check some new movie releases, you will see that I am in most of them. The same way I have been busy running my fashion business. I have been giving both careers reasonable time.


You created a lot of buzz mid-last year when you opened a fashion store in Abuja. What informed this?

Why I think fashion became the next step for me stemmed from my desire to live my passion. I am a fashion-conscious person and anyone that knows Chika Ike would testify that I love fashion. Even most of my colleagues that I work with in the movie industry know about my love for fashion accessories. I love to look good all the time. I love jewellery and perfumes. Since I noticed that fashion and acting are part of entertainment, I decided to explore that line of business and set up Fancy Nancy.

How did you come about the name Fancy Nancy?

Nancy is my English name. But Fancy Nancy was given to me by my nanny some years ago. She gave me that name because she noticed that right from when I was much younger, I’ve been very fashion conscious. While growing up, she noticed that I loved wearing my mother’s big shoes. I’d stand in front of the mirror while I made up. And when asked what I would like to do, I always mentioned fashion. So noticing my love for fashion and make-up, my nanny started calling me Fanciful Nancy. That was how I got the name Fancy Nancy.

You also run a restaurant.

That was before. It has since been rested.

Why did you stop?

There was a location problem. The property we used wasn’t ours and the owner told us he wanted to use the property for something else. Hopefully, we will look for other properties or even get ours because one has to be very sure of some things before starting again at a new location.

How do you manage your time because we heard you also design for your fashion line?

Well, it all has to do with proper management of time. As you know, my fashion line is called Fancy Nancy. It is an accessories line, but I major in jewellery. I create most of my jewellery and take them to China and America to produce. Once they are ready, I find time to monitor what goes on at the store.

Aren’t you getting into too many projects that could distract you from your acting?

Not really. As an artiste, you are free to do many things other than what brought you fame. Even in America, many entertainers have clothing lines, perfume lines, restaurants, clubs and all sorts. All these projects are part of entertainment. They are something one can do if you know you have the talent, time and passion to venture into them. For me, I can still act and do all these without hassles. It is the ability to manage and do it very well that matters.

Are you permanently resident in Abuja now?

No. Lagos remains my base. I only have my business in Abuja and I travel down there from time to time to check on my business.

Did you expect this level of achievement within the short time that you’ve been in the industry?

First and foremost, I believe I’m not there yet. I still feel I’ve not done as much as I should, so I still have a very long way to go. I came to the industry in 2005 and without sounding immodest, I am one of the most visible actresses in the industry. I’m just starting because many people have done more. Apart from my talent, hard work and dedication, I believe strongly that God has really favoured me.

Many actresses including you are involved in various businesses; is it that acting pays so much that you have excess money to pour into some other ventures?

Acting is beginning to pay very well. But people should know that some of us do other legitimate businesses. So many actresses are executing contracts for government and multinationals. Some of us endorse brands and products. Many of us do not just rely on acting; there are so many other businesses to do. If you are creative, there are many other ways you can make money.

Do you take government contracts?

No. I wish I could. But I’m not doing any business with government for now.

There have been different accounts in the media about the collapse of your crashed marriage. What is the true story?

What I can tell you about my failed marriage is that a lot has been written and said about it. There has been a lot of assumptions. In fact, some have made up stories about my failed relationship, but at the end of the day, it is my life and I owe nobody any explanation. Even my mother doesn’t have the right to question me about my private life. But I know that people would talk about every step I take. It is a price that one will pay as a celebrity, but I owe nobody any explanation about what is supposed to be my private life.

Do you still have plans to remarry?

Yes. Why won’t I? I still believe in marriage. I believe and I will always believe in marriage.

How do you react to various stories about your wealth traceable to some powerful men?

There is the notion in Africa, especially in Nigeria, that a woman cannot be successful on her own. I don’t know why it is that way. In this modern time that you watch and read about women like Oprah Winfrey? But what I will tell you is that I don’t really let that affect me. I am an adult and will remain focused. I am in the entertainment industry and different things will be written and said about me. I don’t allow such to distract me. I am a hardworking woman and that’s what I’ll remain.

What do you think is responsible for the frequent marital collapse among celebrities?



I don’t know why people are so concerned about splits in celebrity marriages. It is everywhere and I think the same issues responsible for break-ups in other occupational groups apply to the celebrities. From what I have seen, there are several little things that could be responsible for break-ups. Things like lying or infidelity could eventually break a home. But I think everyone needs God to steer the wheel of their relationship and they should trust their partners before going into it.

Do you agree with those who see you as a sex symbol?

I am not a sex symbol. I am not at all. I just see myself as a confident woman, who loves her body and is conscious of her looks. I have no excuse whatsoever as long as I am not exposing my body in a very explicit way. As long as I look good, I am okay. I really don’t like being seen as a sex symbol. I look good and wear accessories appropriately.

Including tattoos?

I don’t have any tattoo on my body

That’s strange for a fashionable person like you?

I have nothing against tattoos, but I always ask my friends why anyone would want to put a dent on a Bentley.



No comments:

Post a Comment